The next time you aren’t feeling 100%, grab a handful of blackberries.
Blackberries are equally as delicious as they are beneficial to the body. Blackberries contain large amounts of magnesium, vitamin C, and polyphenols -- macronutrients packed with antioxidants. These polyphenols help boost the immune system and help fight colds and flu.
Blackberries are also naturally high in folate and low in calories. One cup of blackberries contains only 75 calories, less than one gram of fat, and 7.6 grams of fiber. As an added bonus: the natural sugars in blackberries will satisfy even the largest sweet tooth!
Try eating blackberries every day to give your immune system a boost. Not sure how to work blackberries into your regular diet? Here are some tips:
- Sweeten your cereal with some fresh blackberries.
- Kick off your day with a blackberry smoothie. Blend blackberries with bananas and honey and enjoy.
- Try blackberries in baked goods, such as pancakes, waffles, and muffins.
- Sprinkle blackberries on salads for added texture and sweetness.
- Spice up your next peanut butter and jelly sandwich by using blackberry jam made with honey in place of grape jam. For an added challenge, try to make your own jam!
- Make your own flavored water by adding blackberries to sparking mineral water.