A type of single-celled, emerald green algae, chlorella, has been receiving a lot of attention for its promising health benefits. And rightfully so! This nutrient-dense algae has been shown to improve cholesterol levels and assist in the natural detoxification process of the body.
What is Chlorella?
Chlorella is a freshwater algae that has over 30 different species. Although two types, Chlorella vulgaris and Chlorella pyrenoidosa are commonly researched, another type, Chlorella sorokiniana, is receiving a lot of scientific attention also. Chlorella has a hard cell wall that humans cannot naturally digest. However, the chlorella’s cellular walls can be broken using a special, chemical-free process where it is centrifuged. This then yields a highly absorbable dark green powder. Be sure the read the label of chlorella in supplement form to be sure the chlorella has undergone this process.
What Are the Benefits of Chlorella?
Commonly referred to as a “superfood,” chlorella has a beneficial nutritional profile. Here are just a few of the benefits of chlorella:
- Impressive Nutrients – Chlorella packs a punch when it comes to nutrition, with a high protein content, a high iron and vitamin C content, and a wide range of antioxidants. Chlorella contains small amounts of other vitamins and minerals, including naturally occurring B vitamins, magnesium, copper, folic acid, and omega-3s.
- Detoxification Superstar - Although your body naturally attempts to detoxify itself, it may need more nutrients to do a good job. Chlorella can help bind heavy metals in the body, aiding this natural process. This can help reduce the heavy metal toxicity of the liver, kidneys, and brain. Chlorella may also help lower the amount of other harmful chemicals in food, such as pesticides or hormones.
- Immune Support – When your immune system is under attack, nutrient-rich chlorella might help strengthen your immune system and help your body produce virus-fighting antibodies. This enhanced immune response may keep you feeling great, even in the middle of cold season.
- Improved Cholesterol - Chlorella supplements have shown to help lower both total and LDL cholesterol blood levels. People with high blood pressure or slightly elevated cholesterol have also noted a decrease in triglycerides as a result of the fab nutrients - niacin, fiber, antioxidants, and carotenoids - famously found in this green microalgae.
- Blood Pressure Support – Taking chlorella can help improve the health of your heart and kidneys, both of which are essential to maintain normal blood pressure. The nutrients found in chlorella, including potassium, calcium, and omega-3s, can also help protect arteries from clogging.
- Amped Up Respiratory Health – Respiratory diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma require controlling inflammation in the lungs. The antioxidants and other nutritious components found in chlorella might help to reduce this inflammation, aiding in improving overall respiratory health.
- Aerobic Endurance – Chlorella also contains branched-chain amino acids, which have been found to improve aerobic performance in some studies. Taking chlorella may also help improve oxygen saturation in the lungs during exercise, definitely a boost for aerobic endurance.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, this amazing green powder packs a huge punch of nutrients and antioxidants, benefiting many areas of the body. Ongoing research might reveal even more specific benefits of chlorella in the future. If you’re looking for a dynamic supplement to help support your best health and wellness, choose chlorella, a mighty powerhouse of nutrients!